Vehicle Operator (CDL)
On Site/Local Routes
Type of Job
About the job
• Drives buses, that requires a CDL to be legally operated, to pick up and drop off persons served on transportation routes ensuring the safety of all passengers.
• Operates vehicles for the purpose of transporting persons served.
• Performs daily pre-trip inspection of vehicles operated. Reports any deficiencies to immediate supervisor for maintenance and/or repair.
• Operates vehicles in accordance with applicable rules and regulations including but not limited to those promulgated by the Ohio Department of Transportation, Department of Education, Department of Developmental Disabilities, Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, and the U.S. Department of Transportation.
• Acts as important liaison between RTI and the family or caregiver since contacts are usually on a daily basis. Maintains positive relationships with families and caregivers.
• Monitors and assists persons served with safety precautions including but not limited to improper standing, remaining in seats, use of seat belts, locked wheelchair clamps, and eliminating throwing items in the vehicle or through windows.
• Assists in loading and unloading of person served, ensuring that persons served are delivered to their place of residence, day program or job and are sufficiently transferred to/from the home caregivers or other employees as deemed necessary by the person served ISP.
• Provides assistance to non-ambulatory adults and operates non-bus fleet equipment intermittently.
• Monitors behavior of person served on vehicle. Encourages appropriate behavior as necessary within guidelines established on ISP.
• Has read and understands individual’s ISP’s. Implements action steps/risks as designed in the person served ISP.
• Reports any safety issues to supervisor.
• Prepares, maintains and submits reports for mileage, fuel usage, repairs and maintenance. Completes reports on any behavior problems, incidents, accidents or illness as specified in the driver’s handbook.
• Provides emergency first aid and CPR as needed and evacuates bus and handles other circumstances of a critical or emergency nature.
• Available for extra duty for field trips, trips to the maintenance garage and any other additional transportation needs.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· Must be 21 years old.
· Must be able to read, speak, write and understand English.
· Possession of valid Ohio Commercial Driver’s license with passenger endorsements with a satisfactory driving record including less than six (6) points on record at any time.
· Must be physically able to lift, carry, and move persons served or items in the work environment in a safe manner.
· Possession of or the ability to obtain a valid First Aid/CPR certification
· Satisfactory Abuser Registry, Web-database and criminal background checks as defined in OAC 5123:2-2-02.
· Possess and maintain a valid Ohio driver’s license with less than six (6) points on record at any time.
· Must be physically qualified to operate a vehicle, which includes passing a post-offer Federal/DOT drug screen and physical demands analysis prior to hire and ongoing.
· Must be able to complete all required vehicle operator training sessions.
· Ability to deal with crisis situation in a calm, efficient manner.
· Two (2) years’ experience as a vehicle operator.
$14.40 per hour or more depending upon experience.
110 Foss Way, Troy, OH 45373, USA